Sunday, October 13, 2013

Spring Break Part 3

My final post about Tasmania!

Day 5

In the morning, we stopped in Richmond for a short bit. Susan, Peyton, and I walked down to another bridge that had been built using convict labor.

All three of us under the bridge in Richmond.

From there, Carl took us to the Port Arthur Historic Site. One thing that was super cool was that we were each given cards that corresponded to an individual convict. You had to go into the exhibit and find your card to find out about your convict and his fate (I never found out what happened to my convict because I did this at the very end of our time there  :(  But I did get to explore the grounds, which were amazing!
Port Arthur


The old hospital at Port Arthur.

One of the gardens on the grounds.

After Port Arthur, we stopped at the Tasman Arches and Devil’s Kitchen. After this we drove back into Hobart and dropped off some people at the airport. Sadly, Peyton and I had to say goodbye to Susan :(



The three of us and our guide Carl!



Day 6

Last day in Tasmania! Peyton and I stayed the previous night at The Pickled Frog, which was a pretty nice hostel. The bathroom was interesting because people had graffitied all of the walls. I added a bit of my own in the blue pen.


Lots of people had been telling us to go to MONA, the Museum of Old and New Art. Peyton and I caught a free shuttle from The Frog and went to see what all the fuss was about. The entrance to MONA was pretty random (a tennis court) , but I liked it and thought that this would probably be my kind of art museum.

Entrance to MONA.

Once we got our tickets we made our way down the spiral staircase several levels. At the bottom floor, Peyton and I were both given our own touchscreens…AWESOME. The devices would tell you about artwork in whatever area of the museum you were in and you could rate the artwork (love + or hate x). This was great because I was able to save an itinerary of what I saw in the museum for later.


Touchscreens!

 I would  tell you what my favorite things were in the museum, but actually mostly everything was pretty cool. 


This was a room with binary code on the walls within a larger room with binary code on the walls within ANOTHER room of binary code.

On the right were some sketches of characters from the Jungle Book with languages under the characters (English, German, French, Hebrew, Greek, etc.). In the movie playing (The Jungle Book), each character spoke their respective language.


Outside the museum overlooking part of Hobart.

Overall, it was a great trip! More to come on my research project! It wrapped up very nicely last week!

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment